Securing Cisco Networks with Snort Rule Writing Best Practices (SSFRULES)
ALL DATES GUARANTEED
Check out our full list of training locations and learning formats. Please note that the location you choose may be an Established HD-ILT location with a virtual live instructor.
COURSE DELIVERY OPTIONS
Train face-to-face with the live instructor.
Interact with a live, remote instructor from a specialized, HD-equipped classroom near you.
Attend the live class from the comfort of your home or office.
The Securing Cisco Networks with Snort Rule Writing Best Practices (SSFRules) v2.0 course shows you how to write rules for Snort, an open-source intrusion detection, and prevention system. Through a combination of expert-instruction and hands-on practice, this course provides you with the knowledge and skills to develop and test custom rules, standard, and advanced rules-writing techniques, how to integrate OpenAppID into rules, rules filtering, rules tuning, and more. The hands-on labs give you practice in creating and testing Snort rules.
This course will help you:
- Gain an understanding of the characteristics of a typical Snort rule development environment
- Gain hands-on practices on creating rules for Snort
- Gain knowledge in Snort rule development, Snort rule language, standard and advanced rule options
To fully benefit from this course, you should have:
- Basic understanding of networking and network protocols
- Basic knowledge of Linux command-line utilities
- Basic knowledge of text editing utilities commonly found in Linux
- Basic knowledge of network security concepts
- Basic knowledge of a Snort-based IDS/IPS system
- Security administrators
- Security consultants
- Network administrators
- System engineers
- Technical support personnel
- Channel partners and resellers
After taking this course, you should be able to:
- Describe the Snort rule development process
- Describe the Snort basic rule syntax and usage
- Describe how traffic is processed by Snort
- Describe several advanced rule options used by Snort
- Describe OpenAppID features and functionality
- Describe how to monitor the performance of Snort and how to tune rules
- Introduction to Snort Rule Development
- Snort Rule Syntax and Usage
- Traffic Flow Through Snort Rules
- Advanced Rule Options
- OpenAppID Detection
- Tuning Snort