Data Analysis using Power BI Desktop – Level 1 – Report Builder
This course lays the foundation for Power BI Report Builders. Report Builders will learn everything they need to create highly effective stand-alone and multi-page narrative reports using data sources that are created using Power BI Desktop. This course covers the use of both the Power BI Desktop application as well as the Power BI Service.
Check out our full list of training locations and learning formats. Please note that the location you choose may be an Established HD-ILT location with a virtual live instructor.
Train face-to-face with the live instructor.
Interact with a live, remote instructor from a specialized, HD-equipped classroom near you. An SLI sales rep will confirm location availability prior to registration confirmation.
Attend the live class from the comfort of your home or office.
All Sunset Learning dates are guaranteed to run!
A general understanding of reporting requirements and a basic understanding of database concepts is useful, but not required.
Be able to create highly effective stand-alone and multi-page narrative reports using data sources that are created using Power BI Desktop.
Lesson 1: Introducing Power BI
- What Is Power BI for the Cloud
- Power BI Key Features
- Self-Service BI Model
- Power BI Components
Lesson 2: Defining a Report
- What is a Power BI Report?
- Defining a Report
- Data-Driven Storytelling
Lesson 3: Building Power BI Desktop Reports
- Understanding the Design Interface
- Creating Reports
- Report Visualizations
- Formatting Visualizations
- Report Final Touches
Lesson 4: Report Filtering
- Highlighting, Drill-down & Data Actions
- Visual Interactions
- Visual Sorting and Slicers
- Visual, Report, & Page Filters
Lesson 5: Understanding Power BI Data Models
- Understanding Data Terminology
- Understanding Tables
- Understanding Relationships
- Diagnosing Data Models
- Data Model Schemas
Lesson 6: Gathering Report Data
- Data Queries vs Data Models
- Viewing & Refreshing a Data Source
- Modifying Report Data
Lesson 7: Data Model Functions
- Creating Calculated Columns
- What is DAX?
- Basic DAX Functions
- Date Hierarchies
Lesson 8: Introducing the Power BI Service
- Power BI Service Interface
- Connecting to Data Sources
- Uploading & Updating PBIX Reports
- Refreshing Power BI Data
- Power BI Service Report Interface Components
Lesson 9: Building Power BI Service Dashboards
- Dashboard Interface Components
- Building Dashboards
- Organizing Dashboard Elements
Lesson 10: Using Q & A (Cortana)
- Understanding Q & A
- Modifying Q & A Results
- Pinning Q & A results to a Dashboard
Lesson 11: Sharing Reports & Dashboards
- Sharing Content
- Managing Power BI Content
- Using App Workspaces
- Content Packs and Apps
Lesson 12: Appendix A: Power BI Roles and Security
- Power BI Roles