As network engineers, we have to realize that our industry is changing; evolving. The days of strict command line configuration of networks and networking elements are coming to a close. We need to add programming as a functional skill set to our tool chest, however, we do not need to know everything a Python programming expert needs to know to develop and deploy code like in machine learning applications. The majority of us are just interested in what we need to know to manipulate network environments. To that end this course was developed to assist us by first focusing on how to configure traditional IOS devices with Python. These exercises have been designed to provide us with goal based, practical learning opportunities. However, we will quickly demonstrate how this is useful to learning the programmatic aspects of Python, but not very practical once it is applied at scale.
With this we will move into the application of Python in concert with many different Application Programmable Interfaces. We will explore NXOS, UCS and ACI APIs to name a few. We will be automating network functionality, and orchestrating operational tasks from day one of this course.
Engineers who implement software-based technologies in a Cisco enterprise or configure/manage network devices.
- Write and test several functional Python scripts.
- Write, edit, modify, and expand complex Python scripts to utilize APIs and data models.
- Use the following APIs to automate configuration and management of Cisco networking devices:
- Use the YANG and MIT data models to read and manage objects to automate configuration and management of Cisco networking devices.
- Use the following DevOps / learning tools to enable efficient use of APIs and data models and effectively create Python scripts:
- Automate configuration of multiple Cisco devices.
Python Foundations for Network Engineers
- Understanding Python
- Data types:
*Guide Lab: Python Foundations-I
- Working with Files
*Guided Lab: Python Foundations-2
Writing and Troubleshooting Python Scripts
- Writing Scripts
- Executing Scripts
- Analyzing Code
- Error Handling
*Guided Lab: Writing and Troubleshooting Python Scripts
- Python Module
- Python Package
*Guided Lab: Custom Python Libraries
Network API’s and Protocols
- Evolution of Network Programmability
- Data Encoding Formats
*Guided Lab: Working with JSON objects in Python
*Guided Lab: Working with XML in Python
- Data Models
- Model-Driven Programmability Stack
Cisco NX-OS Programmability
- NX-API CLI Part 1
*Guided Lab: NX-API Discovery
- NX-API CLI Part 2
- Python on Box
- NX-API REST
*Guided Lab: Using Python on the Nexus Switch
Cisco ACI Programmability
- Northbound and Southbound Layers
- REST APIs
- REST API Message Format
- Cisco ACI APIC Object-Based Tree
- dMIT Queries
- Cisco ACI Cobra SDK (Python)
- Cisco ACI toolkit
- Cisco ACI Power Tool
- Cisco APIC REST to Python Adapter
*Guided Lab: ACI Cobra Automation Exercises
- UCS Director
- OpenStack API Options