Power BI for Excel 2016 – Report Builders, Power BI Tools, Data Model Designers, and DAX Functions
ALL DATES GUARANTEED
Check out our full list of training locations and learning formats. Please note that the location you choose may be an Established HD-ILT location with a virtual live instructor.
COURSE DELIVERY OPTIONS
Train face-to-face with the live instructor.
Interact with a live, remote instructor from a specialized, HD-equipped classroom near you.
Attend the live class from the comfort of your home or office.
First day topics covered include an overview of PowerPivot, creating effective and professional reports, creating hierarchies, effectively applying different chart styles, and creating report templates. Second day topics include creating Power Views with Excel, Power Map, and Power Query. Third day topics include database design concepts, how to build both general purpose and customized data models, and how to use basic DAX language and functionality to extend the capabilities of data models for in-depth and customized analysis of information. Fourth and fifth day topics covered in this class include Relational functions, Date functions, Banding, Ranking, advanced Slicer techniques, plus using DAX as a query language for customized analysis.
Excel levels 1 & 2, including PivotTable & Pivot Chart skills; plus a basic understanding of database concepts.
This course is designed for students who want to learn report builder in PowerPivot.
- Create effective and professional reports
- Create hierarchies
- Effectively apply different chart styles
- Create report templates.
- Build both general purpose and customized data models
- ï»¿Use basic DAX language and functionality to extend the capabilities of data models for in-depth and customized analysis of information.
Lesson 1 : Introducing PowerPivot
- What Is Power BI for Excel?
- What is PowerPivot?
- Power BI for Excel Key Features
- The Self-Service BI Model
- PowerPivot Components
Lesson 2 : Defining a Report
- What is a PowerPivot Report?
- Defining a Report
- Data-Driven Storytelling
Lesson 3 : Understanding PowerPivot Data
- Understanding Data Terminology
- Understanding Tables
- Understanding Relationships
- Diagnosing Data Models
- Data Model Schemas
Lesson 4 : Create Reports using PowerPivot Data
- Making Changes to PowerPivot Data
- Creating PowerPivot PivotTables
- Creating PowerPivot PivotCharts
- Creating Slicers
- Graphing Data
Lesson 5 : Creating PowerPivot Functions
- Calculated Columns
- What is DAX?
- Understanding DAX Functions
- Common DAX Functions
- Dates and Date Functions
Lesson 6 : Introducing Power BI Tools
- Microsoft’s Self-Service Power Bi Model
- What Is Power BI for Excel
Lesson 7 : Power View for Excel
- What Is Power View?
- Creating Power View Reports
- Power View Interface Components
- Understanding Table Visualizations
- Chart Visualizations
- Power View Tiles, Slicers, & Multiples
Lesson 8 : BI Data Query Basics
- What Is a BI Data Query?
- Power Query Interface
- Planning a BI Data Query
Lesson 9 : Query Editor Transformations
- Basic Transformations
- Merging & Appending Queries
- Calculated Columns
- Grouping and Summarizing Data
- Unpivoting Data
- Dealing with Malformed Data
- Finalizing Queries
Lesson 10 : Appendix: Power Map for Excel
- What Is Power Map?
- Preparing a Power Map Tour
- Power Map Designer
- Creating a Power Map Tour
- Power Map Formatting Tools
- Finalizing a Power Map Tour
Lesson 11 : Understanding BI Data
- Business Intelligence Data Sources
- Data Source Types
- Table Roles
Lesson 12 : Creating Data Models
- Creating a Data Model from Excel Data
- Creating a Data Model from Access Database Data
- Creating a Hybrid Data Model
Lesson 13 : Using DAX Functions
- Review of Syntax and Calculated Columns
- Best Practices
- DAX Measures
- Creating Measures (Calculated Fields)
Lesson 14 : Using Dates Correctly
- Why Dates are Different
- Building Data Tables
- Building Data Hierarchies
Lesson 15 : Appendix: Shaping Reports
- Building Communication Worksheets
- Controlling Item Ordering
- PowerPivot Metadata
Lesson 16 : Basic DAX Functionality
- Review Of Calculated Columns
- PivotTable Functions
- Review Of Measures
- Rules Of DAX Measures
- Evaluation Context
- Formatting DAX Code
Lesson 17 : Controlling Content & Values
- Controlling Values
- Switch Function
- Error Handling
Lesson 18 : Context Control Functions
- Iterative Functions
- Filter Function
- All Function
- Earlier Function
- Calculate Function
Lesson 19 : Contexts In Relationships
- Working With Many Tables
- Row Context & Relationships
- Filter Context & Relationships
- Values Function
Lesson 20 : Time Intelligence Calculations
- Working With Date Tables
- Calculating Operating Periods
- Working With Missing Periods
- DAX Date Functions
- Advanced Date Functions
- Prior Year Functions
- Moving Averages
Lesson 21 : Appendix: Advanced Concepts
- Circular Dependencies
- Controlling Totals
- Advanced Hierarchy Concepts
- Additional Uses Of The All Function
Lesson 22 : Appendix: DAX Dashboard Techniques
- Parameter Tables
- Advanced Slicer Techniques